Monday, July 7, 2008

Big Dreams

The 4th has passed, and it was a good weekend for us.

The morning started with our annual tradition of drinking root beer floats for breakfast! The girls LOVE it and talk about it all year!

Then we took the kids to our town's Old Fashioned Celebration in the downtown area. It was fun - and hot! They had lots of kids games, and a bunch of huge inflatables to jump and slide on, and lots of sno-cones!

Later I took the girls to the pool while John napped. Then family came over to grill.

BUT..... fireworks were RAINED OUT! A thunderstorm started 10 minutes before we were going to leave to see the show. Thankfully a neighbor had some cool fireworks that he shot off in the rain, so we stood on the front porch to watch them. John didn't know any better, and he loved it!

Later we watched the Boston Pops play to the fireworks on TV.

What touched me most was seeing our US troops, dressed in their military clothing, listening to the music and watching the fireworks. I kept wondering what their background was, and what was going through their minds at that moment. These are men and women who risk their lives every day to protect us and our freedom.

Many years ago, some men had a big dream. A dream of freedom for our country.

A dream that probably seemed impossible to most.

And yet God gave it to them.

Without promise of what the end result would be.

And we sit here today because of men (and women) who trusted God enough to pursue the dream He put in their hearts.

While I could never compare anything I go through with the struggles and dreams of our Founding Fathers, I've found myself in a situation lately that reminds me of their big dreams.


I'm planning a big event at church right now. Without going into details, it is (God willing) going to be huge! But it's stressing me out.

And recently, I had some ideas about it that seem kind of crazy. As in, crazy BIG.

Yes, I'm thinking BIG, because we have a BIG God.

But these big ideas scare me a little bit, because I don't want to be disappointed. And I don't want anyone to think my "crazy big" thinking is just plain crazy.

With a lot of prayer, I know God will reveal what it is He has in store for this event.

What about you? How do you deal with big dreams?

No comments: