Saturday, September 20, 2008

QUIET

Picture THIS.
Mamma is in the kitchen cooking. Dishes are everywhere. 3 kids are annoying her. Hubby is laying on the couch sick. Ridiculous cartoons are playing so loudly, that Mamma has visions of strangling that stupid Sponge Bob.
The phone rings.
It's Grandpa.
He wants to know if.....get this....

we want him to come pick up the kids for the night!

GASP!
"Oh, no," I say. "I couldn't last a night without them."

Are you kidding me? What I actually said was...

"ALL THREE OF THEM??"

Sure enough, an hour later, Pa came to get the kids.
I left the dishes in the sink. We watched a movie. We decided to go out for coffee in the morning. I went to bed earlier than usual.
I went upstairs, looked in the 3 empty bedrooms, and felt a little sad.

Something about seeing that little crib with no one in it...

I could close my bedroom door, all the way! and there were no kids to listen for. When Ryan got up at night to use the bathroom, I cringed when the toilet seat made a loud noise.
Oh yeah, there's no one to wake up.
I didn't even know what to do with myself when I didn't get woken up by a crying toddler at the butt-crack of dawn.
It's almost noon now, and no one has been whining for chicken nuggets. It's Q.U.I.E.T. here.

Almost too quiet..........
When are they getting dropped off???


No comments: