Friday, August 1, 2008

Blessings and Backpacks

I did a super big "Oh, no!" yesterday, and I feel terrible about it.

Our church is sponsoring a Bookbag Buddies program. Last weekend, we picked up the name of a little girl who is 9 or 10 years old. Like any other child, she needs a backpack and school supplies when she starts school in a few weeks. But she's depending on the kindness of strangers to get them for her.
We were excited to pull her name, and the girls started talking about what they would pick out for her. I went to Target yesterday, and all the school supplies were out. So I thought I'd pick a few things out, and wait for Emma and Clara to get the rest. Only, when I went into my purse to get the list, it wasn't there.

OH. NO.

In between meltdowns, John had been messing with my purse. He must have pulled it out and dropped it somewhere. I couldn't find it. I reassured myself that maybe I'd been mistaken, and left it on the kitchen counter.
Today I searched everywhere possible, including the van. It's nowhere to be found. I wanted to cry.

We are supposed to turn the backpacks in this weekend. And some sweet girl won't be getting what she needs because of what happened. I'm hoping that somehow, somewhere, that list will turn up.

I can't even imagine what it would feel like to not be able to buy my kids the pencils and notebooks they need for school. Most of us, thankfully, will never know that feeling. Hopefully, none of us will never have nights where we pray that our kids can get through the night without dinner, just waiting for them to be able to fill their tummys with breakfast when they get to school the next morning.

When I shop with my kids for school supplies, their biggest worry will be whether to pick pencils with Hannah Montana or High School Musical. What an incredible problem to have.

I'm praying today that God gives me a way to get that little girl her needed supplies. And I'm saying an extra thank you for all of our blessings.



No comments: