Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What I Leaned - Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!

Let's see. What Have I Learned This Week?

Last week, my goal was to make it all the way to Washington DC and back on our family trip, without a vomiting incident from little John. I took him to the Dr. on Friday, just to make sure there was nothing else wrong with him. Zilch. Nada. Nothin'. The Dr. gave us Zofran. I faithfully administered it to him during our trip this weekend, and our entire weekend was carsickness and vomit-free. Oh Zofran, how I love thee.  I was almost sent home from the Dr. without anything at all. What I learned was to be a little pushy with the doctors if I feel I need something. I'm glad I did.

Have you ever broken a glass, and then freaked out about no one walking near the pieces or stepping in it? Uh, yeah. I personally found out why it's such a big deal. I stepped on a little shard of glass Saturday night. It hurt like crazy, but I couldn't see a piece of it. It killed to walk on my foot. I hobbled around for 3 more days, even walking up a mountain to pick apples on Sunday. I finally gave in and went to an urgent care today. An x-ray showed glass in my foot, and I had to have it dug out. I'm grimacing just thinking about it. So I'm sitting here with my foot elevated, wishing I'd just gone and had it taken care of right away. Lesson Learned.

One other bit of randomness. While in DC, we went into the Smithsonian American History museum. I got to see the real Star Spangled Banner - the flag that inspired our nation anthem. Did you know that flag is over 40 feet wide? Crazy!! It was amazing to see it in person. Sorry, no pics - it wasn't allowed.

And for my final lesson. We stayed with my cousin this weekend at her home near DC. I haven't spent time with her for 20 years. I'd never met her kids. My huband had only met them once. But as soon as we arrived, we fit right in. We laughed and talked and joked about old memories. I wished I hadn't waited so long to catch up with them. I learned that I shouldn't put off seeing people I love. And I also learned that for the people who matter, it's never really too late.

So how about you? What have you learned this week?
To read more, visit Jo-lynne at Musings of a Housewife!

7 comments:

melaniet42 said...

Oh ouchie! I hope your foot gets better soon. I had a small piece of glass stuck in my foot just below the bottom of my little toe on the underside that I remember digging out when I was in high school. ICK!!

Unknown said...

Ouch is right, and cringing at the digging comment. I hope you feel better soon!

jen@odbt said...

Glad the visit was puke free but OUCH about your foot. I think it's great that you feel right back in with your cousin after all this time.

Emily said...

I have had glass in my foot before too, and you're right...OUCH! I'm glad it is out now! And I'm glad you had a good time in DC! And I'm especially happy that you have made friends with Zofran! No vomit? Good news!

Carpool Queen said...

I love DC - we lived there for 8 years and I made it to the Smithsonian ONE stinkin' time.

The Buntens said...

Oh girl. Glad no more carsickness, though.

Musings of a Housewife said...

UGH!UGH!UGH! The glass. OWIE. I get freaked when we break a glass. It's SO hard to find it all.

Glad the car sickness issue was solved. I got car sick as a kid. MISERY.